SUGAR IN MY COFFEE




Image: Ujala Chowdhry


Serendipity in the thirteenth century
Silhouetted into a marvelous discovery
No more words, no more gestures are now obligatory
Just some chocolates, cookies or maybe some pastries
To dress up a cup of...
Black, cappuccino, affogato, latte, or regular coffee

 
Ethiopia, where coffee embarked upon its first flight
Landed into two hearts, so naive
"Let's go for a coffee"
A friend asked me
When opened the coffee shop doors
The smell of freshly roasted beans stimulated my senses in chorus


 I climbed the stairs
And he waved to me, laid back on the bamboo chair
He ordered a strong, masculine, royal mochaccino with caramel
And I asked for a soft, feminine, and a shy cappuccino with nuts of hazel

 
Putting sugar in my coffee
He stared at me persistently
Mixing it with a gorgeous silver spoon
He made the cream look like a coffee moon
No more words, no more gestures are now obligatory
Just some chocolates, cookies or maybe some pastries
To dress up a cup of.....
Black, cappuccino, affogato, latte, or regular coffee

 
Every sip tasted so sweet, warm, and rosy
Because the sugar he mixed made it worth drinking
Every time we'd hook up together
In spring, summer, autumn, and winter
My eyes would love to see
How he puts sugar into my coffee
And I'd smile deeply


 Passed a year now
I want to find you again in that coffee house
I tasted all the coffee they had on the menu
And added a can full of sugar from all the venues
Nothing made it sweet in sips
It tasted bitter on my lips


It wasn't the sugar
It wasn't the ingredients
It was your compassion
You used to mix in my coffee
Its rosy pinky color has dissolved into black
I drink it in your memory
Praying to find the sweetness again
As my bitter cup gazes at me in the rain
 
  
"No more words, no more gestures are now obligatory
No more chocolates, no more cookies are necessary
Just put some sugar in my coffee"














Comments

  1. no one has ever discovered so much romance in coffee. Its just beautiful what you wrote. I started and found complicated words so I thought maybe i"l read this whole later. Just happened to read the next few words.. " two hearts so naive" .. wow! Then on.. it all just flows into mind like your words, like your sips of coffee.. :) nice poetry, beautiful pictures, melodious flow of words. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thanq so very much....it means a lot to me coming from u...

      Delete
  2. The Poetess back in action filled with subtlety of the highest order...Having a cup of coffee is always going to remind me of this poem...Nice work :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. thnx robin....coffee has amended all the wrong...

    ReplyDelete
  4. personally? or in general?

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

The Heavenly Touch

Anti and matter battle in me